Consider these startling statistics regarding falls in older adults:
- About one third of those over the age of 65 fall each year, and the risk of falls increases proportionately with age. At 80 years, over half of seniors fall annually.
- Those who fall are two to three times more likely to fall again.
- About half (53%) of the older adults who are discharged for fall-related hip fractures will experience another fall within six months.
- Many falls do not result in injuries, yet a large percentage of non-injured fallers (47%) cannot get up without assistance.
- For the elderly who fall and are unable to get up on their own, the period of time spent immobile often affects their health outcome. Muscle cell breakdown starts to occur within 30-60 minutes of compression due to falling. Dehydration, pressure sores, hypothermia, and pneumonia are other complications that may result.
- Getting help after an immobilizing fall improves the chance of survival by 80% and increases the likelihood of a return to independent living.
- Up to 40% of people who have a stroke have a serious fall within the next year.
As you probably know, Home Helpers serves the private duty home care needs of older adults. What you might not know is that we also offer a range of medical alerts.
- No home phone? No problem. We have that covered with our cellular system.
- Not a Home Helpers client? No problem. Our medical alert service can be stand-alone or in conjunction with home care.
- Afraid your loved one might not push the button? No problem. Our fall sensor detects a fall and alerts our Care Center.
We do NOT require a long-term contract and will personally deliver and set up the equipment, testing the service with your loved one.
I hate to sound “salesy” but this service can very literally be a life-saver and we strongly believe in its benefits.